Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Silent Auction bids may be made in person or mailed to: LaFayette Pilot Public Library, 198 1st Street SE LaFayette, AL 36862 Minimum bid is $100. Minimum bid increment is $5.00. All proceeds go to the library for programming.
2010 Joy of the Holiday Season
Art, Poster, Writing and Photography Contest
Sponsored by Chambers County Library
- Participants should create stories that encompass “the joy of the holiday season” theme.
- Stories should be typed or written in black ink. Hint: If someone other than the author edits the story, please leave it as close to what the author intended. The original version MUST be submitted along with the edited version.
- Stories should be neat in appearance. Stories with more than one page should be stapled or in a folder to prevent loss. Entries should have a cover sheet that includes: title of the story, student’s name, grade, teacher’s name, school, home phone number. Students are encouraged to illustrate their stories, but illustrations will not influence final judging.
- Classes are encouraged to participate. If this is not a class assignment, individuals may submit their own entries. Teachers, please share the guidelines with interested students.
- Although there isn’t a certain length for the stories, the entries should be well developed with recognizable characters and plot. **Hint: It usually requires more than one or two paragraphs to fully develop a story.
- Please remind students that short stories are works of fiction and should not be written as essays.
- Although stories can be inspired from actual events, they should not be a retelling of that event.
- Stories should be written by individuals, not in groups or as a class.
- The contest dates are November 8 - December 3. All entries must be
delivered to the library by 6:00 pm on Friday, December 3. No exceptions.
All entries should be picked up by Friday, January 7. After this date, all entries will be discarded.
Poster Contest and Art Contest
Participants should create posters or art that depict “the joy of the holiday season.” Any medium may be used to illustrate the posters and art. For example, pictures from magazines may be used, paint, glitter, crayons or items from nature. Be creative. Adults may help, but please let the children create their own posters and art. **Hint: Judges especially enjoy posters and art that come from the child’s own hand. So, do not help too much. Below are the guidelines.
Guidelines for Christmas Poster and Art Contest
- The poster contest is for Preschool – grade 12. The art contest is for grades 2 - 12.
- Entries in the poster category will be divided into two groups: Individual and Group (class or family).
- Please be sure to state if your entry is an art entry or poster entry.
- Entries may be submitted until 6:00 on Friday, December 3. Posters and art received early will be displayed at the library until Awards Day.
- On the back of the posters and art, please put the child’s first and last names, grade, teacher’s name, school and home phone #. Groups submitting an entry should include a list of each child’s name who helped with the project.
All entries should be picked up by Friday, January 7. After this date, all entries
will be discarded.
- The photography contest is for grades 7 – 12, only.
- Photos must adhere to the “Joy of the Season” theme.
- Photos entered in the photography category must have been taken by the entrant only.
- Photos may be Black and White or Color.
- Photos must be between 5x7” and 8x10”.
- Entries may not be framed; however they may be matted.
- Each entrant may submit up to three photos.
- Entries may be submitted until 6:00 on Friday, December 3. Photos received early will be displayed at the library until Awards Day.
- Entrant’s first & last names, grade, school and home phone # should be on the back of the photo.
All entries should be picked up by Friday, January 7. After this date, all entrieswill be discarded.