Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Lunch N Learn at the LaFayette Library will be held on Thursday, November 20 at 12 noon. Mr. Leroy Jones will speak about and demonstrate his wonderful Woodcrafting skills. This free session includes lunch, so registration is required. Call 864-0012 today to reserve a space.
Monday, November 10, 2008
2008 Joy of the Holiday Season
Youth from preschool to grade 12 are invited to participate in Joy of the Holiday Season the annual art, poster and short story contest at Chambers County Library. Students are invited to write stories, create original art, and design posters that celebrate the holiday season. We appreciate students, parents, and teachers taking time to participate in this annual event. This is one of our favorite contests to sponsor at the library. We look forward to reading your stories and seeing your art and posters.
All entries must be submitted by December 5. Guidelines are printed below. Individuals, groups and classes are welcome to participate.
If you have questions please contact Tabitha Truitt or Kati Behrens at Bradshaw Library at 768-2161 or Betty Barrett or Monica Barber at LaFayette Pilot Public Library at 864-0012.
Guidelines: Writing Contest
1. Stories should be typed or written in black ink. *Hint: When editing the story, please leave it as close to what the author intended. You should submit the original version along with the edited version.
2. Stories should be neat in appearance. Stories with more than one page should be stapled or in a folder to prevent loss. Entries should have a cover sheet that includes: title of the story, student’s name, grade, teacher’s name, school, home phone number. Students are encouraged to illustrate their stories, but illustrations will not influence final judging.
3. Classes are encouraged to participate. If this is not a class assignment, individuals may submit their own entries. Teachers, please share the guidelines
with interested students.
4. Although, there isn’t a certain length for the stories, the entries should be well developed with recognizable characters and plot. **Hint: It usually requires more than one or two paragraphs to fully develop a story.
5. Please remind students that short stories are works of fiction and should not be written as essays.
6. Although stories can be inspired from actual events, they should not be a retelling of that event.
7. Stories should be written by individuals, not in groups or as a class.
8. The contest will be November 10 - December 5. All entries must be delivered to the library by 6:00pm on Friday, December 5. Pickup will not be available.
9. Awards will be presented during a special holiday party on Thursday, December 18 at 4:00pm(ET) at Bradshaw and 3:30 p.m.(CT) at LaFayette.
Guidelines: Christmas Poster and Art Contest
Participants should create posters or art that depict “the joy of the holiday season.” Any medium may be used to illustrate the posters and art. For example, pictures from magazines may be used, paint, glitter, crayons or items from nature. Be creative. Adults may help, but please let the children create their own posters and art. **Hint: Judges especially enjoy posters and art that come from the child’s own hand. So, try not to help too much. Below are the guidelines.
1. The poster contest is for Preschool – grade 12. The art contest is for grades 2 - 12.
2. Entries in the poster category will be divided into two groups: individual and class or family.
3. Posters should be at least size 11 x 17. Art should be at least size 8½ x 11. The theme of the poster should appear at the top.
4. Entries may be submitted until 6:00 on Friday, December 5. Posters and art received early will be displayed at the library until Awards Day.
5. Please put the child’s name, family name or class name, grade, teacher, school and home phone # on the back of the posters and art. Groups who submit an entry should include a list of each child’s name that helped with the project.
6. Awards will be presented during a special holiday party on Thursday, December 18 at 4:00pm(ET) at Bradshaw Library and 3:30 p.m.(CT) at LaFayette Library.
7. All entries should be picked up by December 30. After this date all entries will be discarded.